Thursday, January 3, 2013

. . .as the day rises to meet the sun.

With these words Christ's people have begun their day for centuries. Even tho I did not rise at sunrise, on these short days of daylight, even a 'reasonable' waking hour allows me to see a golden sky and my prayer connects me to Christians of all time.
"O Lord, let my soul rise up to meet you, as the day rises to meet the sun."
I began my devotional year anew in December with Feasting on the Word companion, meditations for Year C. But found that I missed,  Common Prayer; a liturgy for ordinary radicals. So I've returned and read both, along with year two of reading through the Bible.

 I like the connected feeling, but everything I'm reading of late says most of 'us' church-going people and not, feel no connection to Christian generations past and care even less about it.
Last year I read Diana Butler Bass' Christianity After Religion. Now I'm reading Kenda Creasy Dean's Almost Christian  (I had read in-depth summaries of her work previously.) I feel a bit convicted .. that I've been part of the problem.

I think I've been one of those Christians who don't live passionately, at least not enough to really want others to join in. Or maybe I just feel the lack of passion in 'the church' so have felt that it didn't really matter if people were away on Sunday.  EVEN though, as a preacher I really FEEL it when people are away on Sunday. (And often take it personally!)

I find a lot of passion when we are volunteering at AFAC (Arlington Food Assistance Center, this Saturday!), or doing a Community Service Project, or attending the monthly gathering of Young Adults that meets in DC.
Yet whenever we meet for worship, there is joy and excitement among those gathered. Why is it we can't find the 'passion' that encourages each other to physically BE there, every Sunday? Where is the disconnect? and is it that 'church' as we have known it, has outlived its useful life? If 'We=church' need to resurrect, in order to resurge as a new creation, then what, how, when will all this be?
Feeling called to be part of what is 'to be' while not knowing what that is, is the most unsettling place I've ever been. Although this morning, as the sky goes from pink to gold to light blue, I feel comfortable and ready for another cup of coffee. Comfortable..but not quite settled. Will this be 2013?

O Lord, let my soul rise up to meet you. . 
 

No comments: