Sunday, May 13, 2018

Sundays in retirement

I’m missing church. AND I’m giving into fear.
I’m still on crutches and I fell early on due to water on the floor. So when it’s raining or snowing, I don’t go out unless I have a doctor’s appointment that I can’t reschedule. So I missed church because I’m afraid of water while on one leg.

The good news, after tomorrow, I get to start putting weight on my leg while locked VERY straight in my leg brace and still using crutches. But it’s something! Means I can do more than grind the coffee in the kitchen. At least a little more. And my withered right leg should show some muscle improvement, also slowly. I’m sure it will be sore too.

So on Sunday, what do I do, I usually turn to the Christian Century magazine. But today I went to a few web sites for churches, christian communities, and speakers I know of. My favorite is
Brian Zahand
https://brianzahnd.com/2014/04/dying-sins-work/
His explanation and critique of ‘atonement theories’ is simple and eloquent. It’s a favorite study topic of mine. When I first began at Arlington COB, I challenged people not to say, “Christ died for my sins.” Unless they could explain it, or cite the atonement theory they were using. The sad part is it silenced people all together. But hopefully made them start thinking about what they were saying. Brian does a great job and he is also a super follow on Twitter.

On the other hand, I visited Bruxy Cavy’s site at “The Meeting House” and found his teaching not to my liking.

 I have heard Bruxy speak in person and really enjoy his powerful yet humble voice. I’ve asked him questions about his organizational plan for the Meeting House and admire the discipleship plan they use, placing higher priority on the small group weekly meeting in homes over the weekly attendance at worship (including satellite sites that project his sermon and worship.) 

In my mind, there is room for alternative ways to God. I have just found the Jesus way to be the ‘best’ from my perspective. Therefore, I encourage others to try it. While I recognize and enjoy the focus on peace and justice that many paths share. 

So what do you think? Do you have time to click on those links and do some quick reading? Neither is long. I’d love to hear your opinion. Not that I expect I have any readers after months of not posting. Perhaps I can get back to preparing something on weekly texts, but I think it will be mid-June before I have enough time to do so. Sad but true. Or maybe I just need to prioritize better. 

Meanwhile, I will soon upload a picture of the joy of my days lately. (After google pictures finished backing up my images for the last 10 years!)

Nancy


No comments: