Thursday, February 28, 2013

In Search of Good News

Most of the time I am quite happy with life.
Some of the time I am in search of good news.
Today I've avoided the news since the Sequester begins. Here inside the beltway, the sequester means many, many of the folks I see in the pews, in the neighborhood and coffee shops will be furloughed one day per week. While it is agreed that is better than losing your job...it will be tough. I also worry about those employed by firms that are getting defense funds in some form.

Having said that, I think we desperately need to cut into the every-growing defense budget. It is ridiculous, more - sinful, that we are in debt beyond everyone's eyeballs and their great-grandchildren's eyeballs, to finance war! War is killing. Christians are supposed to be against killing. Debt-ridden mindsets have everyone willing to accept the unacceptable. Poor, hungry, and out of work. And I have little faith in those who seem to control the defense spending purse strings.

Biased? Undoubtedly, but how can it not be a sin to spend so much on death while we begrudge and cut funds that support life?

sigh...so today, in this regard at least, I'm looking for good news.

No comments: