Church Board Retreat Outline – “Solving The Mystery, part II” January 13-14, 2012
“For surely I know the plans I have for you…for your welfare not harm, to give you a future with hope….”
Friday (times may be adjusted to accommodate late arrivals)
Introduction of Theme
How do we discover the plans God has for us?
What is Spiritual Oasis Time?
8:30 p.m. (time may be adjusted)
Spiritual Oasis Time and Time for Community
8:00 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. (adjust time as needed for breakfast)
Hymn #1 v. 1 What is this place
Session One Finding Direction in Scripture
- The open book method – not for professional detectives
- Brethren/Anabaptist Style Sleuthing
Groups of 4 by your own determination– use handout credit Nancy Ferguson Retreat-Leaders-Manual
- Mt. 25:34-40 The story of the King, the sheep & the goats
- Hebrews 13:1-2 the hospitality basket
- Lev. 19:33-34 Aliens have landed
- Mark 12:29-31 the Greatest (and hardest) Commandment
- 1 Peter 4:8-11 Mountain love (maintain it)
If needed add
- 1 John 4 Perfect Love; not just for weddings
- Gal. 5:22-23,25 Fruit for every meal.
9:45 – 10:00 a.m. Break Time
Hymn #395 v.1 Here I Am, Lord
(Make sure your barn group includes at least one person with long history at ACOB and one with a short history)
Sharing our Sleuthing - What did you hear this morning?
- Samuel’s story, 1 Samuel 3:1-20
- Looking back to see forward; the detective’s work
10:35 a.m. In Barnyard groups,
Detective Interviews: Tell stories of early ACOB 15 minutes
Advancing the Plot: Write a story 20 minutes
Your group’s ‘vision’ of the NEXT story for ACoB
Break 11:00-11:10 a.m.
Hymn #1046 Gathered Here In The Mystery of This Hour
Sharing our Sleuthing
Each group shares the story they wrote, ncluding if needed, what past story informed their vision.
11:45 a.m. The Detectives’ Conference: Quick break into barnyard groups.
Based on our sleuthing and our visioning,
“What scripture should be our focus in 2012 and inform our goals?”
12:00 noon Lunch
Spiritual Oasis Time
Hymn #594 Lord, you sometimes speak
Sharing results our Detectives’ Conference
Group chooses one scripture for 2012 focus
(Nancy & Everett briefly)
Board process by Commission – a quick review
Commission’s authority and purpose
2:20 p.m. Commission Based Groups (3, + music/worship)
Where you serve or where your interest lies.
Listening To God’s Call
3:00 Closing Worship - Everett