Monday, January 25, 2010

Back To Work

I love my 'work'. It's hard to call it that at times because this vocation is integrated with my life. I remember when I was first experiencing 'call' I longed for work where I could get up and do what I really enjoyed. I wanted to spend time reading scripture and writings about scripture. Along with that study, I wanted to talk about the message of scripture and the life of a Christian. Now I am a pastor and I do get to do all those things, when there is time that is. :-)

There are other parts of this 'work' that take time away from study, but I enjoy those also; visits with elderly and ill, counseling people in crisis by mostly listening, planning for the future and adding my voice to meetings. I love that the meetings are capably chaired and well organized. The pastor's voice is one among many, always consulted but not looked to for all the answers. There is such health in this congregation.

And then there are the times of discernment. There are never enough of those times. This post-vacation week is a good time for discernment. Even as the busyness of newsletter writing and worship planning begins again, there will be time to think about the future and to listen for where God is calling us. Or so I hope.

For now, it's back to 'work'. Always a bit of a struggle coming off vacation, but just remembering the joy of this vocation should get me through the day (and tonight's meeting). I wish as much for anyone who reads this today.

5 comments:

Terri said...

This "work" really is a blessing...glad you are in healthy place where it may be so.

Rev Nancy Fitz said...

It is a good place and I know that sometimes we are sent into 'not-so-good' places. We go where we are sent, usually. :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RoseAnn said...

Work you love is such a gift from God. To so many, work is dreaded, a counting of the hours and minutes.

Terri said...

re: your comment on my blog - I've had that same thought about my mother in my skin! funny....

I have another DVD from Gaiam called, AM/PM yoga for beginners. It's just 20 minutes for each session, much more simple and gentle. Then a step up from that is the Yoga Conditioning for Women (also Gaiam).

ps - I think that gobbledy comment above might be spam...best to delete it...don't click on it...